Claims Procedure/ Making a claim?
We never want to contemplate anything affecting our travel plans, but, if disaster does strike it’s useful to know what to do and where to turn.
If you need to make a claim on your Travel Insurance policy, each insurer will have their own procedure that you will need to follow but there are a couple of handy tips to make the process a little less daunting.
- Refer to your policy document - I know it might seem like an obvious thing to do but sometimes the answers you need are right there in black and white in front of you.
- Find out what your policy excess is, if you don’t already know. Sometimes the excess might be more than the amount you are claiming for, in which case there wouldn’t be much point in submitting a claim.
- Retain all receipts/tickets/reports etc. as these may be required to help substantiate your claim.
- Contact the police if necessary – If you have been a victim of an attack, a robbery or any crime, be sure to contact the police as you may need to provide your insurer with a police report.
- If after reading your policy document you are sure you are eligible to make a claim, promptly contact the claims department of your travel insurer and ask them to send you out a claims form.