We use cookies on our website to ensure the best possible online experience. By using our website you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.

Car hire excess terminology

Renting a vehicle can be a very daunting experience in you have never done it before. Many people are often put off by all of the terminology and the jargon. Depending on where you are renting a vehicle in the world people will refer to car hire excess insurance by a few different names. If the terms CHE, CDW, LDW, SLI look familiar to you, then keep reading.

Collision Damage Waiver: CDW or Collision Damage Waiver is the agreement from the Rental Company to waive the cost of damage to the rental vehicle if it is involved in an accident. It doesn’t mean that you don’t have to pay anything. You may still be liable for an excess payment.

Loss Damage Waiver: LDW or Loss Damage Waiver is the agreement from the rental company to waive the cost in the event the rental vehicle is stolen or in the event you cannot use the vehicle (loss of use).

Supplementary Liability insurance: SLI or Supplementary Liability insurance provides cover if you are involved in an accident while renting a hire car and cause damage to a third party such as injure them with the rental vehicle or you cause physical damage to their property.

Deductible: In the USA/Canada the excess is often referred to as a deductible.